Thursday, June 9, 2011

Not your regular graduation cake






My baby sister's all grown up! This past weekend, L graduated from high school. I was 13 when she was born, and still remember life before she was around. I hadn't had the opportunity to share the perks of my cake baking hobby with my mom and sister, and decided to whip up something for the occasion.



Harder than it sounds because L is a notoriously picky eater.



Me:What kind of cake do you want?


Crickets...It took her forever to decide.


L:White cake with vanilla frosting.


Seriously? White on white?


L: Well, you can color the frosting.


Me: Alrighty, then. What kind of design do you want?



L is a budding artist, and of course, had to come up with something extreme. This is the description she sent via Facebook:



"Can you just make me a BAD-ASS manticore cake with vicious teeth in a creepy smile, yellow cat-like eyes with black pupils, a dirty blond main thats really messy and flops around, human-like paws, blueish purple hind-quarters with digit grade back legs, deep blus scorpion tail dripping poison, and lightning bolt stripes of electric blue. Oh, and can you make him a hipster?"


Me: WTF???


So...yeah....what I decided to do was merge our respective hobbies in the middle. We split a box of fondant and each created a manticore (which, BTW, is a chimera like creature). Best manticore would go on the cake. And MINE WENT ON THE CAKE!



And quite the tasty cake, too. An ice cream cake! Chocolate cake (I talked her into living a little), cookies and creme ice cream, and white frosting. I need to plan the ice cream cake process a little better; it started to melt and wouldn't firm up without an overnight freeze. But, I think it turned out pretty good, despite the drips and bulges, considering I frosted it with a plastic knife! The plastic knife was because I wasn't sure if my cake spatulas would make it past the TSA screeners.


Congratulations, little sister!










No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog